Tender Whole Wheat Rolls
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups bread flour
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over the wheat bran, flaxseed, salt and cinnamon. Add the honey and oil. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, whole wheat flour and wheat bran mixture. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough bread flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 120 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 26, 2020
These are the most flavorful rolls. Recipe is the best roll recipe I have found.
Dec 14, 2019
Soft and fluffy little rolls. Great flavor! Would definitely make again.