Whole Wheat Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water. Add the oil, sugar, molasses, salt and remaining water. Combine flours; add 4-5 cups flour to mixture. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 168 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 4, 2020
WOWZA! I made this bread with my kids today and it is the BEST homemade bread I have ever had (my mother-in-law makes delicious bread on a daily basis). I added 1 extra pack of yeast. Ended up using about 8 cups of flour and then added 1/2 c. water and 1/4 c. oil. IT IS DELICIOUS!!!
Dec 27, 2018
The flavor is wonderful. I have made it twice and it crumbles too easily. I need suggestions please.
Feb 6, 2018
This wonderful whole wheat bread is a five star! My husband made it for us yesterday. Thank you for sharing this keeper!
Sep 22, 2014
This bread was a huge success! My husband has been asking for wheat bread so I tried this recipe and it is now a family favorite. I used my bread machine , using the dough cycle, which made my bread making so much easier! Great recipe, I would highly recommend!
Aug 14, 2014
I work at 2 camps, one is a boy's camp and the other a family camp, I have made this bread multiple times with great results every time! They all love it, it stays so moist!
Jun 7, 2014
Very tasty. I did make a few changes though....I used 1/2 C. oil and 1/4 butter melted. I added 4Tbsp. non-fat dry powdered milk. Also I cut the salt down to 2 tsp.,and I added to the flour: 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed, 3 Tbsp. 10 grain cereal, and 2 Tbsp. gluten. (no one here has any allergies so i can do that). I DID NOT mix the flours together, and glad I didnt. I put the whole wheat flour in a bowl, added 2 Cups A.P. flour and the remaining dry ingredients in the recipe along with the added extras I put in. Then after I added the liquid ingredients and mixed it up real well, I slowly added more A.P. flour to form the dough. I did not need all the 5 1/5 cups A.P. flour.I ended up baking for 40 minutes, AND I got three 5"x11" loaves.Defiantly a keeper.
Dec 22, 2013
Amazing bread! Rose a lot! Huge loaves.
Mar 18, 2013
Excellent great texture and flavor. I only needed to use 6 1/2 cups of mixed flour.
Dec 27, 2012
This makes excellent bread, we had it tonight with Turkey soup and it was a big hit. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It was easy to make and I like the fact that it makes two loaves, one is never enough.
Dec 17, 2012
This a great bread. Its good tasting and full of flaver. I`m not a baker as a rule but this was good the first time I tried it.