Yogurt Wheat Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 to 2 cups bread flour
- Let yogurt stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, wheat germ, sugar, oil, salt and yogurt. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough bread flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 92 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Mar 31, 2018
I am a really good cook but for some unknown reason unable to make edible bread that doesn’t turn out like a hockey puck.....well until now that is. Very good and satisfies both my husbands love of soft white and me wanting something with more hearty ingredients and better chew. You made me look like I actually knew what I was doing. Thanks.
Aug 9, 2010
to Ginny 3235, I make this recipe in a bread machine and it works very well. Just add the ingredients in the order given. However, I use the dough setting, then let it rise again in the loaf pan before baking. I use a pan because I prefer the bread shape over my machine that makes a square loaf.
Jun 22, 2010
I made this bread this afternoon and it is delicious! It is great with a little butter and honey drizzled on it! I plan to make it often. Thank youto the person who sent it in!
Jun 19, 2010
It is the best wheat recipe I ever had and now my only one. The whole family likes it.
Jun 8, 2010
May 27, 2010
bread machine recipe: place in bread machine in this order: 1 cup water, 1/2 cup plain yogart, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ, 2 cups bread flour, make a well in the middle of the flour and place 2 tsp yeast in it. Place on dough setting. Place in loaf pan and bake at 375^ 35-40 minutes. You can convert most any bread recipe. Add wet ingredients first, then dry, yeast last. Most bread machines hold at least 3 cups of flour some 4 1/2 cups.
May 25, 2010
You can buy Bread Flour at the grocery store in the section with other kinds of flour
May 24, 2010
I too used AP Flour...turned out fine. Very easy to make as well.
May 24, 2010
Have not tried it because of arthritis, I can no longer knead the dough. I, too, would like a breadmaker version. How about it?
May 24, 2010
This is my recipe and I like using bread flour but have made it many times with just plain old all- purpose flour and it turns out fine. As for the bread machine question.........dunno. At this house I am the bread machine. I have never used one but I don't see why you couldn't use a machine. There is the right amount of flour (so as to not overload) and there is nothing special about the mixing. I'd give it a try if I had a bread machine.