Molasses Oat Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes3 loaves (16 slices each)
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add the molasses, sugar, oil and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally. Stir in yeast. Add 8 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down and divide into thirds; shape into loaves. Place in three greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 0g sugar total.
May 8, 2017
This is a large enough recipe that you have enough bread for gifts and have one for yourself! The bread is awesome!
Oct 27, 2015
I just made this, it is delicious and easy to make. I used quick rise yeast so I only had to rise one time and I worked great.
Jan 5, 2014
We love this bread. I give it as gifts at Christmastime. People really like it. It freezes well.
Feb 24, 2012
This recipe makes bread that is very satisfying and goes a long way toward reviving one who is hungry and feeling down. The smell of the bread baking is also a huge advantage over other recipes. It does not last long enough to get old.
Feb 3, 2012
This is very good bread and I?ll make it again. Be aware, however, it does make three loaves. So make sure you have plenty of help eating it! Once they taste it, you?ll have no problem finding volunteers.
Feb 23, 2011
So good!I made this bread today- its delicious! It reminds me of the bread they serve at our local Black Angus- I spilt the recipe in half and made four small round loaves on a cookie sheet. I also sprinkled a few oats on the top before baking. I enjoyed some right out the oven- great stuff!
Sep 8, 2010
Leftovers are so good, toasted and with butter and honey spread on top.
Dec 12, 2009
This is the best bread I've ever eaten. I modified to make 2 loaves, and one was gone as soon as it left the oven.