Basic Homemade Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 102 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 10, 2019
Have been baking bread for over 50 years, this recipe, by far has the best taste, texture and easiest recipe I have tried! Thank you for sharing Sandra! Today was my second time using this recipe, I know I will be using it very often!
Jan 6, 2019
Just wondering if you can substitute the AP flour with whole wheat flour? Thanks!
Jan 1, 2019
This recipe is the best! I don’t bake ever, and I consider myself a complete novice in the kitchen, and I just made this for the first time and I had to eat half a loaf it was so good. I threw in a couple handfuls of dried cranberries, OMG, make this if you want to impress people. Too bad I only have my dog to impress LOL, she had a slice
Nov 15, 2018
Omg the best! I used this recipe for the first time last night. The bread came out PERFECT! So moist and delicious, my daughter couldn't get enough. I used a glass loaf dish and followed the directions step by step. Will definitely use this recipe again
Nov 11, 2018
Question for the author (or a successful user of this recipe): Are you baking at 375 degrees in a dark or light pan? Other bread recipes I see run around 400 deg. and a light pan. Which do you use at 375?
Nov 9, 2018
First time making bread was a week or so ago. I decided the best thing to do was keep it simple.. and this bread turned out amazing. My GF was pretty impressed to see that I had made bread too. Here I am again a week later, making it again !! <3
Oct 1, 2018
Jun 21, 2018
I baked this bread earlier today, and it was so easy. It turned out great and is very delicious! My 2 year old loved it.
Jun 19, 2018
I loved the recipe . And it was my first time ever making it my family and friends injoy eating it.
Jun 17, 2018
Easy to follow, turned out really good, my family loved it. I did bake both loafs together and baked it for 40 minutes instead of 35, I have convection oven. Otherwise, perfect.