Basic Homemade Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 102 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 11, 2018
Question for the author (or a successful user of this recipe): Are you baking at 375 degrees in a dark or light pan? Other bread recipes I see run around 400 deg. and a light pan. Which do you use at 375?
Nov 9, 2018
First time making bread was a week or so ago. I decided the best thing to do was keep it simple.. and this bread turned out amazing. My GF was pretty impressed to see that I had made bread too. Here I am again a week later, making it again !! <3
Oct 1, 2018
Jun 21, 2018
I baked this bread earlier today, and it was so easy. It turned out great and is very delicious! My 2 year old loved it.
Jun 19, 2018
I loved the recipe . And it was my first time ever making it my family and friends injoy eating it.
Jun 17, 2018
Easy to follow, turned out really good, my family loved it. I did bake both loafs together and baked it for 40 minutes instead of 35, I have convection oven. Otherwise, perfect.
Jun 16, 2018
FULL DISCLOSURE: Not the best bread recipie I've came across in some 40 years of baking bread by hand, but it does get 5 stars because it's so easy and reliable.I use bulk Flour, Sugar, and even Yeast. No need tp buy premium ingredients here.TIPS: "Proof" the yeast water and Sugar for at least 10 minutes.Make SURE the water isn't over 115 degreesDo NOT over rise or over bake.It works fone for me!
Jun 8, 2018
This recipe was given to me by my neighbor. I thought I would make it today and it turned out horrible. OMG, it was terrible. The bread did not rise at all. I'm not sure why this happened ? I'm not sure why everyone has given this bread recipe five stars? If I could I would give it zero. I have made bread before and it always turned out great. I followed the directions to the tee. I am thinking I should have used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour. I am very disappointed I'm planning on throwing this recipe in the garbage. I plan on making bread from the youtube channel (Jenny Can Cook.) Now, JENNY can make delicious bread and it turns out good every time.
May 19, 2018
This is an excellent recipe...Its so easy and so good. I halved both loaves (after the first halves) to make twists, then egg washed and sesame seeds. Beautiful loaves.
May 18, 2018
Love this bread. I make it at lease twice a month. Comes out perfect every time.