Basic Homemade Bread
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
1 slice: 102 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 1, 2018Yummy ;)
Jun 21, 2018I baked this bread earlier today, and it was so easy. It turned out great and is very delicious! My 2 year old loved it.
Dec 31, 1969
I loved the recipe . And it was my first time ever making it my family and friends injoy eating it.
Jun 17, 2018
Easy to follow, turned out really good, my family loved it. I did bake both loafs together and baked it for 40 minutes instead of 35, I have convection oven. Otherwise, perfect.
Jun 16, 2018
FULL DISCLOSURE: Not the best bread recipie I've came across in some 40 years of baking bread by hand, but it does get 5 stars because it's so easy and reliable.
I use bulk Flour, Sugar, and even Yeast. No need tp buy premium ingredients here.
TIPS: "Proof" the yeast water and Sugar for at least 10 minutes.
Make SURE the water isn't over 115 degrees
Do NOT over rise or over bake.
It works fone for me!
Jun 8, 2018
This recipe was given to me by my neighbor. I thought I would make it today and it turned out horrible. OMG, it was terrible. The bread did not rise at all. I'm not sure why this happened ? I'm not sure why everyone has given this bread recipe five stars? If I could I would give it zero. I have made bread before and it always turned out great. I followed the directions to the tee. I am thinking I should have used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour. I am very disappointed I'm planning on throwing this recipe in the garbage. I plan on making bread from the youtube channel (Jenny Can Cook.) Now, JENNY can make delicious bread and it turns out good every time.
May 19, 2018
This is an excellent recipe...Its so easy and so good. I halved both loaves (after the first halves) to make twists, then egg washed and sesame seeds. Beautiful loaves.
May 18, 2018
Love this bread. I make it at lease twice a month. Comes out perfect every time.
May 12, 2018
I love this bread. Eady to make and wonderful.
Apr 29, 2018
This is THE best, and easiest bread recipe. I made a few adjustments but the foundation recipe for ingredients, measures and prep/cooking were straight from this recipe. [(I used bread flour instead of AP flour, olive oil on place of the canola (that's what I had on hand), and threw in some savory spices to give it a kick and it rose up better than any recipe I'd ever used, plus I put a dash of olive oil in the dough because I read that bread flour dough can be dry.]