Homemade English Muffin Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead.
- Grease two 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 83 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 19, 2016
Been making this for years....very good and easy to make.
Oct 11, 2009
this sounds so easy and good. Can't wait to try it.
Jun 27, 2009
This recipe is so simple! Delicious for Saturday morning breakfast -- with an extra loaf to share with the neighbor!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.