Basic Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites. Add milk and bread; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the onion, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf in an 11x7-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes; drain.
- Spoon ketchup over loaf. Bake 10-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 228 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Jul 4, 2013
Great recipe. Good nutritional value. Didn't change anything about the recipe but did use extra lean beef. Will definitely make again.
Nov 2, 2012
Mar 8, 2012
Made it for my family. It was super easy to make, and tasted great! I even substituted the beef for ground turkey, it still turned out delicious.
Jan 14, 2010
good recipe. good flavor and easy ingredients.