Basic Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk egg and milk. Add bread; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in onion, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf in a greased 11x7-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes; drain.
- Spoon ketchup over loaf. Bake until a thermometer reads 160°, 10-20 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 226 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Jul 4, 2013
Great recipe. Good nutritional value. Didn't change anything about the recipe but did use extra lean beef. Will definitely make again.
Nov 2, 2012
Mar 8, 2012
Made it for my family. It was super easy to make, and tasted great! I even substituted the beef for ground turkey, it still turned out delicious.
Jan 14, 2010
good recipe. good flavor and easy ingredients.