Mom’s Macaroni and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 309 calories, 20g fat (13g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
May 8, 2018
This recipe is simple to make and delicious. My hubby asked me to use large elbow macaroni the second time I made it so I did. Been making it that way ever since. The cheese sauce just gets in the macaroni better that way according to my kitchen critics!
May 28, 2017
My first time making mac & cheese from a scratch. Very easy & everyone. Liked it. A keeper.I also used 4 oz. Of Velveeta.
May 8, 2017
This is one of the cheesiest I've tasted!
Jan 22, 2017
Big hit at recent potluck. I added 1/2 tsp. Of dry mustard for a little extra flavor.
Aug 29, 2016
Worked great! I didn't bake it, and I doubled the cheddar cheese rather than using Velveta, and it worked great! Kids loved it for lunch!
Nov 15, 2015
My family and I love this recipe, however I tweaked it a bit. I use 4 oz of vellveeta and I use Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs. I also brush the butter on top of the crackers! It is absolutely delicious and super cheesy!
Nov 10, 2015
Very creamy mac and cheese. Just like mom used to make!
Oct 21, 2015
So cheesy and delicious! Love the bread crumbs on top too. A very nice touch. I made this for a middle school thanksgiving lunch side dish, and there was not one single bite left. My family requests it often.
Jul 19, 2015
For some reason I have a hard time with macaroni and cheese, the flavor and consistency is never what I want until I made this recipe. It comes out great every time and the flavor and the thick creamy texture and just what I've been looking for. I go a little heavier on the cheddar cheese.
Jun 27, 2015
Easy to make and really good!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.