Mom’s Macaroni and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cubed Velveeta
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 309 calories, 20g fat (13g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 11, 2020
This is by far the best Mac and cheese I've ever eaten! My girlfriend and I polished it off in 2 meals because it's so good! I have shared the recipe with many friends and family members and expect them to do the same. Since it disappears so quickly I'm making a double recipe today! I do use the large elbows instead of the smaller ones. I think that change makes it even more of a comfort food.
Nov 15, 2019
I am sure its a wonderful dish, in my family , mom always diced and onion, sautéed it and added to the cheese, milk mix. I thought it was the bestest!!!
Oct 10, 2019
This is an excellent basic recipe for Mac and cheese. I made it yesterday with only a couple of changes, a couple extra tablespoon of macaroni to finish the box, and some extra cheese to finish off the piece that I was grating. It was delicious! I will use this as my go-to recipe. It will be easy to customize, leftover ham would be a nice addition.
Sep 21, 2019
This is my go to mac and cheese recipe, with a change, I've never bought Velveeta cheese. I use a variety of cheeses, Cheddar, Gouda, Gruyere. Never processed though. Delicious!
Sep 21, 2019
Add sour cream
Sep 20, 2019
First time making "home made" mac
Mar 14, 2019
I've made this recipe for years....my go to for mac and cheese. I add a bit more Velveeta, but no other changes.
Dec 7, 2018
I make a couple of large batches for church potlucks, it's always the first dish emptied. The family all love it too. You can't go wrong with this recipe if you want a creamy Mac and cheese!
Nov 21, 2018
One of my best dish, good article and your explanations are given me a clear ideas ho to make it.
Nov 5, 2018
To All, You're Invited! Just as I have been to crawl up into this delish dish. This scrumptious, moist, creamy hootenanny will have you buttered up like a weak-willed child. Come one, come all, to a feast that will make you feel as though you are the cheesy fetus to this preggers mama mac and cheese. Although mother-like, this dish will have you saying "daddy". Five stars!! Sincerely , Dr. Kevin R. Monopoly