Cheesy Mac & Cheese
Everyone comes home for dinner when I make this homemade Macaroni and Cheese. It also receives great compliments at potlucks.—Debra Sult, Chandler, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the flour, cream, half-and-half, sour cream, egg, mustard, cayenne, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth.
- Drain pasta. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Stir in cubed cheeses. Top with cream mixture. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 563 calories, 43g fat (28g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 648mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Kicked Up Mac N’ Cheese in 100 American Classics 2013 MEGAzine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.