Skillet Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Optional toppings: fresh arugula, halved cherry tomatoes and coarsely ground pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Add macaroni; cook and stir until heated through. Top as desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 600 calories, 37g fat (23g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 1185mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Sep 29, 2019
So easy... and sooooo cheesy! I sprinkled the top with some Panko bread crumbs and popped the skillet under the broiler for a minute just before serving. Huge hit with my family.
Aug 8, 2019
I also used a pan I cooked bacon in to make this dish. I am surprised it didn't call for any seasonings at all. I just cannot make something without using at least salt and pepper so I added a tad pit of salt because the bacon is salty and some black pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper as well. With the addition of the bacon, it was a hit.
Apr 4, 2019
I made the recipe as written except we put another quarter cup of cheese in it because it looked like it need to be cheesier. Also we used a skillet that we had just cooked bacon in and had poured the grease off so there was residual bacon grease and a little bit of matter so it did give a little ‘oomph’ on that flavor. My husband really liked the dish, though he was incredulous on using a Velveeta-type product. I grew up with it so I knew it would be great and it was.
Mar 31, 2019
Received to raves that this was best Mac and cheese ever.
Oct 1, 2018
Great Mac and Cheese!
Apr 17, 2018
I used whole milk and 1/2 lb of velveeta and it was simply amazing. My kids raved. Will be making it again soon!
Apr 2, 2018
I have tried many mac and cheese recipes, and this was the best and creamiest so far. I used regular milk instead of half and half, a 1/2 lb. Velveeta, and added 1/2 tsp each of garlic and onion powders. It was SO easy, quick, and it reheats much better than other mac and cheese recipes I've tried, probably due to the Velveeta. I topped it with fresh parsley and crumbled bacon. This will be my new go-to mac and cheese recipe!
Mar 26, 2018
I've always wanted to make mac n cheese from scratch instead of from a box. I came across this recipe and it was great! The cheese sauce was nice and smooth and everyone enjoyed it. Will make again!
Nov 28, 2017
Can use milk instead of half and half, and can reduce amount of cheese - and still tasty.
Jul 7, 2017
This is delicious! Made just as the recipe stated. Very creamy and cheesy. Will defiantly make this again.