Baked Three-Cheese Macaroni
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni or fusilli pasta
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% milk, warmed
- 4 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni in a 6-qt. stockpot according to package directions for al dente. Drain; return to pot.
- In a large saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; whisk in warmed milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in Gruyere and cheddar cheeses, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add to macaroni, tossing to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese and melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 487 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 515mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Feb 2, 2019
Mona are you retarted? Cheddar, Parmesan, Gruyere. 1..2..3. Three cheeses sweetheart...yikes
Jul 27, 2018
Gruyere Extra-sharp Cheddar Parmesan - Makes Three Cheeses
Jan 18, 2018
This recipe is called "3 cheese" where is the 3rd cheese?
Sep 18, 2017
Yummy - but I changed the Gruyere to Buffalo Wing cheese. My congregation loves it. I use brown rice fusilli, 3 cups raw milk, organic cornstarch, omit the bread crumbs, and cook it on low in a crockpot for 2-3 hours.
Aug 5, 2016
It was just my daughter and I so we halved this recipe. I had 8oz of Gruyere to use so this was a great find. I didn't have sharp so we used cheddar jack instead, along with tri-shaped pasta. It was SO GOOD. And incredibly rich. We had a chicken breast on the side and we thought we could cook and shred and combine it right in with the recipe. Maybe next time!
Mar 28, 2016
Good mac & cheese recipe, although the gruyere cheese is a little expensive. I ended up using a slightly cheaper version that was apple smoked, and it gave it a funny taste, so I wouldn't recommend that. Might try this again but experiment with different cheeses.
Mar 13, 2016
I have been looking for a macaroni and cheese that is creamy and cheesy, and this is it. Most of the family enjoyed the crunch of the panko breadcrumbs, but my one youngest daughter did not. We'll definitely make again.
Aug 15, 2015
We made this recipe this week, for our back-to-school dinner. We enjoyed, but the panko breadcrumb topping was a little thick and too crunchy for us. I know plenty of folks who love a good crunch-tastic baked macaroni though, so i am betting this would be a big hit with them! Enjoyed the cheesiness of the dish. :)