Microwave Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes; stir. Cover and cook at 50% power for 3 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into macaroni mixture. Add cheese. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 minutes or until the macaroni is tender and sauce is bubbly, stirring every 3 minutes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 543 calories, 33g fat (20g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 1311mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
May 16, 2015
while high in fat content, it is so yummy. and it is fun to give in and forget the fat grams once in a while.. i am glad to find this recipe as the box stuff was startin g to taste terrible to me.
Feb 7, 2012
My family and I just love this recipe, and I already have made it several times. For those of you that have taken it to gatherings, do you make it advance or what? I would appreciate your advice :)
Apr 29, 2010
The fat content was too high for me so I cut out the butter, changed the milk to skim and used low fat velveeta. OMG it was awesome. Brought the fat down to around 6 gm per serving. Definately in the acceptable range for me!
Dec 21, 2009
The BEST and easiest mac n cheese ever! I have had so many requests for this recipe when I take it to gatherings that I now automatically pack the recipe so others can copy it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.