Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add 1-1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted, adding additional milk to reach desired consistency.
- Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 653 calories, 46g fat (30g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 1141mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Dec 4, 2019
My family loved it! It was delicious and creamy! Finally a mac and cheese recipe that's a keeper! Thank you Cindy!
Oct 3, 2019
Just ok. Was rich and not the flavor I was looking for. Maybe as someone suggested adding some hot sauce might of giving me the flavor I was looking for.
Jun 25, 2019
Nice Mac and Cheese. I cut the recipe in half. Used small shell pasta.
May 13, 2019
This was a very nice mac
Mar 4, 2019
I love this recipe. I dont add parmesan because I dont like it,I dont substitiute I just leave it out. I also add potato sticks to the top for baking...Goooooood crunch! pik Nik Stiks. :) If you want it thinner, use a milk with less fat.
Jan 22, 2018
Best mac and cheese! Used mozzarella cheese and chedder cheese. Also put cheese on top and bread crumbs for added crunch. Thanks TOH!!
Sep 20, 2017
This was best mac and cheese I have ever had. I modified slightly by using extra sharp cheddar , Gouda , Swiss , muenster and Colby.
Jan 3, 2017
This was amazing! I chose different shredded cheeses mixed mild cheddar, colby and sharp cheddar. I added about 2 TBS evaporated milk and used 1 1/2 2% milk and it was very creamy. Like the recipe states, "USE AS MUCH MILK AS NEEDED TO CREATE DESIRED RESULT" I will definitely be making this one again!
Dec 26, 2016
Sauce is very thick. Looking for something more creamy
Nov 4, 2016
Fantastic! I left out the sour cream, added 8 oz Colby Jack, and 1 extra cup of milk.