Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
I like to create recipes, and this is one my husband really enjoys. It's an excellent dish for company, especially for families with small children. After all, what kid doesn't like macaroni and cheese?
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around the edge of pan. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese and butter. Let stand for 1 minute. Stir until cheese is almost melted. Stir in bread crumbs. In a bowl, combine the macaroni, egg yolks, pimientos, parsley, onion and salt. Stir in cheese mixture; mix well. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into macaroni mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 292 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Macaroni and Cheese Casserole in Country Extra March 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.