Pulled BBQ Pork
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 10 hours
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the garlic, pepper flakes and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire and cumin. Cook over medium heat until heated through and sugar is dissolved.
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; pour sauce over the top. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker. Heat through. With a slotted spoon, place 3/4 cup meat mixture on each roll.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 518 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 528mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Oct 3, 2017
I did not have time to cook the veg before putting in the slow cooker, which likely accounts for why the flavour was a bit one dimensional. Added some instant coffee granules and cocoa powder to deepen the flavour (and colour). Molasses would also help with that (in place of the brown sugar). I also used about 1 1/2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in place of the hot pepper sauce.Great base recipe, easy to adapt to preference. Will definitely make again.
Jul 15, 2017
Best pulled pork recipe. Not oversauced and tangy with a nice spicy kick. Friends love it.
Jan 28, 2015
Real North Carolina barbeque does not have tomatoes in it.
Sep 2, 2013
If you use chefdaddy bbq sauce, you will do a flip.
Aug 3, 2013
I followed the recipe as written except for straining the vegetables from the sauce before recombining with the pulled pork and adding a dash of salt. My family and I loved it I thought it really captured the North Carolina BBQ flavor.
Jul 31, 2013
I made this yesterday and we all liked it. Even my picky brother said it was good!
Jun 22, 2012
I thought this was a good recipe, though I wish the BBQ sauce was a little more tangy. My boyfriend didn't like it though. However, he's not fond of any slow-cooker pork recipes so far.
Jun 19, 2012
As usual, I always try a recipe that everyone gave 5 stars, so I was very disappointed when I made this and didn't like it one bit. No one in my house ate it either. I ended up throwing it all away. Looking back, I should have been clued in...the ingredients were a strange mix for pork BBQ: cumin, brown sugar?! It just wasn't a good combination. It certainly didn't taste like NC BBQ!
Jun 14, 2012
My husband and I enjoyed this sandwich.
Jun 11, 2012
awesome! my family loved it
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.