Rich ‘n’ Cheesy Macaroni
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/3 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and sugar until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Stir in cottage cheese and sour cream. Pour over macaroni. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 508 calories, 31g fat (20g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 1109mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Dec 22, 2017
ok so our daughter wants me to make mac&cheese as part of Christmas dinner so I want it to be spectacular. my only concern is with texture > cottage cheese?my question: does it melt or stay the cottage cheese texture? I can make ricotta from scratch if need be ~will have same moisture effect-thanks in advance for speedy answer ;:-}
Jun 29, 2017
Delicious! I loved this recipe! I made one change which was to use ricotta instead of cottage cheese.
May 8, 2017
This is an unbelievable and cheese recipe!!
Jun 24, 2014
Whenever I make this recipe and take it somewhere people rave about it. They will ask for the recipe, which can happen a lot, people say it...but don't necessarily remember. With this recipe they follow up with me and beg for it. I have heard from many that this is the best mac n cheese they have ever had. I agree...it is awesome!
Jan 21, 2014
This mac & cheese is the best. If you're worried about the cottage cheese or sour cream in it because you don't like them, don't worry. You can't tell either one of them is there. I do put them both into my food processor together to make them very smooth before adding to the saucepan. It takes away any cottage cheese texture at all.I call this my 'super secret mac & cheese recipe' because my husband would not eat it if he knew cottage cheese was in it. I've never told him (and don't plan on ever telling him) and he raves about how good it is every time I make it. The only thing I do differently is instead of sprinkling the cheddar cheese on top I mix it into the dish. I also add some mozzarella. You can't have too much cheese! Try this one, it's the best!
Dec 25, 2013
absolutely superbly delicious
Mar 12, 2013
I haven't made it yet but I would like to. The only thing is is I despise cottage cheese.Can you substitute Ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese in this recipe?
Nov 12, 2012
I have made this so many times... It is fantastic!! I don't use the bread crumbs and add a small diced onion. Wow just amazing!! So happy you shared it:)
Sep 13, 2012
May 30, 2012
I've made this many times and will continue to make it forever. It is incredibly good. Thank you for sharing this recipe with the world!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.