Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 3-1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni in boiling water until almost tender; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard, pepper and pepper sauce until smooth. Cook for 1 minute or until bubbly. Stir in the macaroni, milk and 4 cups cheese.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Mar 19, 2020
My go to mac
Aug 18, 2016
Great recipe, instead of shredding the cheese I cube it and put all 20 onces in a blender with the heated milk, then add it to the cooked flour and butter and stir in the cooked macaroni makes it much faster and I don't scrape my knuckles on the box grater. I add about 1 cup of crushed corn flakes sprinkled on the top before baking.
Jun 16, 2015
Great tasting mac & cheese! Nice, simple recipe, which is all you need!
Jul 7, 2014
Ok, but very pedestrian recipe for Mac and Cheese. Try Fontina for half the cheddar. Half and half for the milk. White pepper instead of hot sauce. The ground mustard is a good inclusion.
Oct 15, 2013
I have used sharp cheddar, and cubed velveeta, it was so creamy, and cheesy!!!
Jul 27, 2013
Really good Mac and cheese. I didn't have hot sauce so I left it out. I even used mild cheddar but I think sharp cheddar would be great too. I added buttered bread crumbs for the topping by mixing firm white bread with melted butter while it baked uncovered. Absolutely delish!
Jul 14, 2013
This was delicious! I took this to a church event and it was gobbled all up. Thanks for the recipe and I will definitely be making this again!!
Jun 19, 2013
This is my husband and 5 kiddos favorite Mac and cheese. My hubby is not a noodle person but it won him over. He loves it with steaks cooked in the oven with blue cheese, crushed croutons and chives. You won't be disappointed!
Aug 1, 2012
I take this dish to many potlucks. Everybody loves it! I usually get a request for the recipe. Excellent!
Mar 29, 2012
Use this one all the time. Grandkids just love it.