Summer Macaroni Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water or 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small sweet yellow, orange or red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water and drain again.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, water, vinegar, sugar and seasonings until blended. In a large bowl, combine macaroni, peppers, onion and celery. Add 1 cup dressing; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing to add just before serving.
- To serve, stir in reserved dressing. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 160 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 18, 2019
Whenever I make macaroni salad, regardless of the ingredients, I use Ken's Lite Northern Italian salad dressing instead of mayonnaise. You do not have to worry about keeping the salad cool although I put the container in a bed of ice for an outdoor party.
Jul 28, 2018
This sounds like a true winner regarding ingreds. I’ll be giving this a try
Jun 24, 2018
It was a little bland, not much flavor.
Jun 13, 2018
Delicious! Not a bite was left over. I added a drained can of diced tomatoes & kalamata olives. I also added some spanish spices. I'm sure it would be just as good as it was written, but for our meal, I added these items. Definately, a keeper!
Aug 2, 2017
We did like this, but a good idea would be to make extra dressing and add it before serving since ours did soak up the original quickly and became dry. I cooked the pasta in water flavored with Tony Chachere's seasoning for more flavor and since it's summer, we have tomatoes out the wazoo so some pieces were added. This really is a great recipe and will be used again - thank you for posting it.
Jul 27, 2017
Made it. I did not have any bell peppers to add. It sure was good tasting. Will make ti again without the bell peppers. This is my go to salad.
Jul 27, 2017
Yummy, my hubby liked it the way it was written so I split it and added a little more of everything so we had more. I added a drained can of tiny shrimp and some Old Bay to my half and it was delish.
Jun 22, 2017
This is a great salad.. I think overnight the flavors meld nicely.. I agree with Psalm 127:3 children are a heritage, and the salad could use more spice.. so taste testing and adjusting makes it your own..
Jul 10, 2016
Important to let it set that 2 hours after making, I liked it better the next day.I will make again
Jul 10, 2016
Good and simple taste. Perfect for the whole family from grandparents to the 3 year old.