Creamy Ham ‘n’ Macaroni
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in the milk, bouillon and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 cup cheddar cheese, ham, Parmesan cheese and macaroni.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until bubbly, 20-25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 434 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 1414mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Mar 16, 2020
My boys and I absolutely loved it. Our new quick and easy fave!
Apr 26, 2019
I loved this! Left out the bouillon though. Easy and amazing!
Feb 4, 2016
This recipe does not need the bouillon at all. The butter and cheese have enough salt. Otherwise it was delicious and easy.
Dec 21, 2015
My teens ask for this all the time (and they aren't ordinarily big fans of baked mac and cheese). So simple and sooooo yummy! As for the sodium, I don't think it's salty at all. However, I always use sodium-free bouillon in any recipe. Maybe they don't have that in Denver. Maybe that's only something we have in Ohio.
Sep 28, 2014
My family LOVES this
Aug 23, 2014
We love this dish in our house...only change we make is a little extra cheese and I use a pound of pasta...there's 6 of us It's a fantastic and easy dinner to make...
Jun 25, 2014
Must agree w/DenverPatti, TOO SALTY. Maybe that's the midwestern casserole norm, I don't know. I think the mac+cheese flavors would actually come through better w/less salt. 1 tsp bouillon granules sounds right, then add more to the sauce to taste IF NEEDED before combining with macaroni. But otherwise very clear, well written recipe, and rich cheesy flavor. And simple, that's a plus. Hence, 3 stars.
Jun 18, 2014
This was WAY TOO salty for health of humans! I had to rinse all of the pasta and ham off and start over. Typically chicken bouillon granules are so salty. I recommend cutting the amount in half. I actually cut it to one teaspoon and MUCH MORE HEART HEALTHY! The ham adds enough sodium! I also added about 1/2 cup frozen peas and it turned out great! LOOK at the 1414 mg. of sodium in this recipe for a one cup serving!!!!! Is this healthy??? NO WAY! Not to mention it was so salty you couldn't taste anything else.One more comment, no parent with any knowledge of healthy nutrition and childhood obesity should EVER feed their kids a dish with so much sodium and the cholesterol is not good either. No wonder we have unhealthy overweight kids. I have to be honest!And btw, I made the recipe EXACTLY as it is written the first time. Not healthy that way at all.
Mar 11, 2014
This was just ok to us.
Jan 23, 2014
This was excellent, super rich and a great way to use up leftover ham.