Cheesy Ham Macaroni
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 11 crackers)
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile in large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheese; cook and stir until melted. Stir in the ham, mushrooms and pimientos. Drain macaroni; stir into ham mixture.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs; dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 420 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 983mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Feb 23, 2019
My kids love this recipe and request it often. Very good, so easy and plenty of leftovers. I left out the pimentos.
Oct 25, 2015
I substituted kilbasa for the ham, deleted the mushrooms and pimientos. It's wicked good
Jun 3, 2015
If you enjoy mac and cheese, you will enjoy this casserole. It is mac and cheese with a little different approach but still delicious.The only thing I did differently was to double the recipe and put in a 4 quart casserole dish.
Aug 2, 2013
Super yummy and easy! This fed 5 people, though. To be fair, two of them were teenage boys.
Apr 12, 2013
I used shells instead of elbow macaroni and fresh mushrooms instead of canned. My toddler and my husband and I loved it!
Jan 29, 2012
Our family really liked this recipe!!!
Sep 13, 2011
Made it for the first time, really easy and fast to get in the oven. Family and I liked it alot and will for sure be making it again. The only thing I didn't do was add the mushrooms, not a big fan.
Jan 7, 2010
Very Delish!! I used velveeta cheese which made it very creamy and drowned out the flour taste. For the crumb topping I used ritz crackers cause it was all i had on hand...very good will definately make again!
Nov 21, 2009
I have made this twice. Second time I used more ham, diced and the large sized macaroni. The kids liked the recipe just the way it was before I tried to "improve" it. I haven't used the cracker topping either, and it was great without it.
May 10, 2009
Nice recipe but in my opinion too much flour which made it taste a bit pastey and ended up adding a can of cream of mushroom soup. The next time I make this "white roux" I'll use less flour and stir in a pinch of dry mustard. The DH hurt my hurt my feelings when he suggested that I just cooked a boxed of mac and cheese and threw in everything else and topped it off with crackers:( but it worth trying again!!!