Creamy Ham and Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 small onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (2-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan with enough water to cover; cook until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, saute carrot in butter for 3-5 minutes; add onions and saute 2 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in flour; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth, ham, mushrooms and reserved asparagus. Reduce heat; add cream. Heat through but do not boil. Add salt and pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 285 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 881mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Apr 24, 2017
Excellent recipe. Kids loved it. I added diced red potatoes and celery leaves and parsley. Everything else stayed the same. Definitely going to make it again!
Apr 8, 2013
So good! I used canned milk for the half and half (add a little sugar for the sweetness). I used 2 onions and 3 carrots. I also added 1/2 C swiss cheese at the end. SO DELICIOUS. I will be making this again.
Apr 23, 2012
Delicious! What a great way to use up leftover easter ham rather than my usual bean or split pea soup. I put more ham than called for because I served it as the main dish. Be careful not to overcook the asparagus!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.