Creamy Ham and Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 small onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (2-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan with enough water to cover; cook until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, saute carrot in butter for 3-5 minutes; add onions and saute 2 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in flour; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth, ham, mushrooms and reserved asparagus. Reduce heat; add cream. Heat through but do not boil. Add salt and pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 285 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 881mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 24, 2017
Excellent recipe. Kids loved it. I added diced red potatoes and celery leaves and parsley. Everything else stayed the same. Definitely going to make it again!
Apr 8, 2013
So good! I used canned milk for the half and half (add a little sugar for the sweetness). I used 2 onions and 3 carrots. I also added 1/2 C swiss cheese at the end. SO DELICIOUS. I will be making this again.
Apr 23, 2012
Delicious! What a great way to use up leftover easter ham rather than my usual bean or split pea soup. I put more ham than called for because I served it as the main dish. Be careful not to overcook the asparagus!