Asparagus Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes6-8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups whole milk
- 4 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces), cooked and drained or 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut asparagus, thawed
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Croutons and additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add asparagus and heat through. Add the cheese, thyme and nutmeg. Cook until cheese is melted, stirring frequently (do not boil). Garnish with croutons and additional cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 343 calories, 24g fat (16g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 994mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 27, 2012
While this is a good base start for this soup, I would change a couple things.First, the recipe calls for too much thyme. While I like thyme and use it in most of my broth-based soups, the quantity in this cream soup is overwhelming.Second, I added some chicken stock base for extra flavor and thus reduced the salt too. This gave it more depth than a simple cream sauce can provide.Overall, it is a good base to use to add your own touches and adjust to your own taste.(Also, I easily made this gluten free by simply substituting the AP flour with GF AP flour)