Asparagus Soup with Lemon Creme Fraiche
A fresh and easy asparagus soup, pureed until it's smooth, is a definite winner. Serve it warm or chilled depending on the weather.—Fern Vitense, Tipton, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add asparagus and potatoes; cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in broth, lemon peel and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Cool slightly. Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Combine garnish ingredients; serve with soup.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 155 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Soup in Country Woman April/May 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.