Golden Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut tips off asparagus and set aside; cut stalks into 1-1/2-in. pieces. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add carrots and asparagus stalk pieces; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process soup until blended. Return to pan. Stir in asparagus tips; cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 173 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 27, 2016
Very good! I too halved the butter and used reduced sodium/fat chicken broth . Loved the tender whole asparagus tips. Will make again soon.
May 4, 2012
First try at making any soup with asparagus - don't believe I'll try any other. The taste is scrumptious with just the right amount of thickness. Low calorie and everyday ingredients. A definite "have again".
Mar 9, 2012
For the past few weks, Our local market has had asparagus on sale for $.99 a pound! My husband and I have enjoyed it quite often lately and agreed this soup is our favorite! Perfect Lenten supper with good Wisconsin cheese and crackers!
Apr 3, 2011
A very good and healthy recipe using ingredients that are typically on hand for me. Will definitely make again.
Apr 1, 2011
So yummy! I leave out a tablespoon of butter to cut some calories and fat but still tastes wonderful! thanks for a great recipe
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.