Hazelnut Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes4 servings (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (about 1-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Shaved asparagus, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pepper flakes; cook and stir until onion is softened, 4-5 minutes. Add asparagus and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until asparagus is tender, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Place nuts, basil and lemon juice in a blender. Add asparagus mixture. Process until smooth and creamy. Return to saucepan. Stir in almond milk, tamari sauce and salt. Heat through, taking care not to boil soup. If desired, top with shaved asparagus.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 164 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Mar 3, 2018
This works for me. How do I shave asparagus?
Apr 30, 2017
Very special and a little different. This would be great for entertaining or as a first course for your Easter dinner. You can easily substitute regular milk and soy sauce if you want to use ingredients you already have on hand.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.