Asparagus Leek Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 large leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimientos
- In a large saucepan, saute the asparagus, mushrooms and leeks in butter for 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended.
- Gradually stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in corn and pimientos; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 269 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 686mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 6, 2018
My family really liked this except for my picky grandson. I made it just as it is except I didn't have half and half so I used cream and milk. I thought it could use a titch more salt is all. It was a good hearty chowder.
Mar 25, 2013
I had a chicken breast left over from an other meal that wasn't enough to feed the family and it was already thawed so I chopped it and cooked it in the chicken broth and added to the chowder. it was to die for will make this again soon. thanks for the recipe.
Nov 14, 2012
i had gotten this recipe about 4 years ago and my children had loved it. it nice to surve at dinner partys also.
Jul 26, 2011
DEFINATELY WOULD MAKE AGAIN.. I USED BABY BELLA MUSHROOMS AND FROZEN CORN.. AND PROB. 1.5 CUPS OF HALF N HALF...BUT IT WAS EASY AND VG..
May 4, 2011
What a way to welcome spring. I shared it with my neighbor and we both agree that it is absolutely delicious!!
May 22, 2010
Excellent. My whole familiy loved it. To cut down on calories, I did make it with 2 % milk and it was fine.
Jul 20, 2008
Love It! This is quite hearty and very tasty. My whole family loves it. Serve it with some cheesy texas toast.