Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute onions in butter for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add asparagus, broth and seasonings; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add rice. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 111 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 18, 2016
This was a wonderful soup for a very cool and rainy day! I was unable to find plain wild rice without a search, so just used a box of wild rice/long grain mix. A seasoning packet came along with this which I did use in cooking the rice. Added some cooked & shredded chicken for a heartier meal. Those were the only significant changes made to the recipe-except lessening the cooking time for the asparagus to approximately 20 minutes as we prefer crisp/tender asparagus. My husband & I had only rave reviews for the flavor!
Aug 4, 2013
Asparagus has always intrigued me as a child and also as an adult. Can something that looks so much like a tree actually taste good?!But it does! And it's delicious in this soup!I have a tendency to overcook asparagus so don't do that!! Otherwise all you have is mush!We often add chicken. And mushrooms are a no-no in our house so you can easily customize!!It tastes good with a fruity-flavored muffin hot out of the oven.
Mar 19, 2013
Loved it! Brought it to school to share and got rave reviews. I didn't have wild rice on hand so I used a packaged of uncle ben's ready whole grain medley, microwave and it's 2 cups. This will be added to my soup recipes. Thanks for sharing!!!
Feb 22, 2012
This was very tasty. I would modify it a little by cutting down on the broth and adding more wild rice. It was a hit here for dinner tonight!
Nov 15, 2009
bland needs more of a cream base I really had to doctor it up to make it somewhat taste good, not very impressed