Creamy Fresh Asparagus Soup
Tangy lemon and sweet tarragon give this creamy asparagus soup a springtime flavor you’ll savor and share. —Stacy Mullens, Gresham, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and onion; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6-8 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Stir in lemon juice, tarragon, salt and pepper.
- Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Serve with yogurt and lemon peel.
Nutrition Facts1 cup with 2 teaspoons yogurt: 91 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Soup with Creme Fraiche and Lemon in Taste of Home April/May 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.