Chunky Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, saute the asparagus, onion and garlic in butter for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add curry powder; simmer 5 more minutes. Add mushrooms and pimientos. Stir in broth and milk. Heat, but do not boil. Add cheese cubes and stir until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 163 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 779mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Jul 10, 2014
I've been making this recipe for a number of years and it's definitely a favorite! I omit the the pimento and add cooked carrots and bacon instead.
Mar 25, 2013
I've made various asparagus soups, but this one is special by the curry powder - perfect! I will also use freshly-sauteed mushrooms, not canned, and will add some frozen hash browns as I do to most soups for a bit more chowder consistency. Asparagus soup tastes like spring!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.