Chunky Veggie Beef Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
Makes9 servings (about 3-1/4 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed (about 1 pound)
- 3 medium carrots, cubed
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh corn or frozen corn
- 1-3/4 cups frozen cut green beans
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat in oil until no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, water and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add corn and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 227 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 584mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 29, 2018
We Love this Soup! I did not use Nutmeg or celery, because I didn't have any. I did add fresh broccoli with the carrots and potatoes, however, I also added another 2 cups of beef broth and about a cup or so of V8 juice and a can of diced tomatoes plus a little more Oregano and Garlic.. We dont care for corn so I added a can of whole green beans and noodles. I changed it up a little bit but the core of the taste was from this recipe. Try it and enjoy!!
Nov 1, 2017
I suspect for a low calorie soup this is pretty good. I thought it was good but it will not be on my make again list. Guess I wanted it to be a little more hardy feeling. Don't let my review stop you from trying it out. It is good. It is low calorie as it is i n the Taste of Home Diet Comfort Foods book. The meat was very tender and it smells nice. Maybe an onion would have kicked up the flavor or something. I am half wondering about thickening the liquid with some cornstarch too.
Aug 2, 2017
This is a keeper served in bowls over rice.My 92 yr old mom loved it!
Dec 10, 2014
Dec 14, 2013
This is a delicious soup. I found it easy to prepare and both my husband and I declared it a keeper. Delicious on a chilly day. I omitted the nutmeg. We loved it.
Sep 16, 2012
My whole family loved this soup! My son won't touch vegetables, including the ones I put in it, but he ate two bowls tonight and is a very happy boy. Thank you!
Dec 2, 2011
My fiance and I both liked this soup. I think it could have used more broth and some more spices, but it was filled with healthy veggies. I'll definitely make this again.
Nov 7, 2011
Great tasting soup!!
Aug 29, 2011
absolutely worth the time in the kitchen. makes enough for next days lunch. Very satisfying. thanks for sharing.
May 1, 2011
We really like this hearty soup packed with vegetables. The flavors are great!