Asparagus Leek Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes12-16 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 3 large leeks, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, but into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks and onion in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, carrots, salt, broth and rice. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir in asparagus.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the spinach, pepper and cream; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 157 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 778mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 5, 2018
Absolutely amazing! Followed recipe as written. I made my own veggie stock using the regular cast plus the trimmings from the leeks and asparagus. On point!
Apr 30, 2018
I originally encountered this dish at a local French bakery and would purchase it several days a week at $7 a bowl so you can imagine my excitement when I found the recipe. It's perfect. Taste just like the bakery's version. I add more butter and cream than what the recipe calls for tho ..... and usually just drink the broth. It's totally AWESOME. THANK YOU!
Aug 10, 2014
This soup is delicious! It took a little time to chop everything up but very worth it. It is a keeper!
Feb 20, 2014
Made this soup during our recent "snow event" & we're lovin' the tasty, warm feeling of good , old fashioned comfort food. Excellent, and we made it even more delicious by adding a couple more handfuls of spinach than what were called for. YUMMY!!!
Apr 11, 2012
This is my families favorite soup recipe. AWESOME!!!
Sep 17, 2011
I have made this recipe more than once. I prefer canned asparagus at the end, since I don't like the crisp. The last time I made this I was out of asparagus; instead I put in some sliced fully cooked chicken sausage (roasted red pepper with onions and asiago flavor) and some sauted sliced portabellos. This made it yummy and hardy. You can really do a lot of different things with this soup since the base flavor is so good!
Oct 5, 2010
This looks delicious, but what should I do if I don't have a dutch oven?
Mar 29, 2010
My husband loved the recipe. The leeks were kinda of scary at first but rinse them well and be sure to get inside the leaves. I cut the recipe in half and tried freezing some without the cream. Will add the cream when reheating.
Feb 16, 2010
Have made it several times and get requests for it
Jan 29, 2010
When I can't find asparagus, I substitute broccoli. Either way it's delicious.