These tangy spears make a great addition to a relish tray. Field editor Marie Hattrup of Sparks, Nevada, shares her easy recipe.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Process: 20 min.
- 9 quarts water, divided
- 16 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 quarts white vinegar
- 1 cup canning salt
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a stockpot, bring 6 qts. of water to a boil. Cook asparagus in batches, uncovered, for 2-1/2 minutes. Remove and rinse in cold water.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the vinegar, salt, pickling spices, garlic and remaining water; bring to a boil. Pack asparagus in quart jars to within 1/2 in. of top.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot quart jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 7 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 888mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Pickled Asparagus in Taste of Home August/September 2002
May 1, 2013
This is the first time that I have made pickled asparagus and it turned out great. The recipe was easy to follow and I will be trying this again next asparagus season.
Jun 17, 2011
I MADE THIS EXACTLY HOW THE RECIPE CALLED FOR . GREAT TASTING !!!