Sweet Pickled Asparagus
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Process: 20 min. + standing
- 10 pounds fresh asparagus
- 5 tablespoons dill seed
- 5 teaspoons mixed pickling spices
- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- Wash, drain and trim asparagus; cut into 5-3/4-in. spears (discard ends or save for another use). Pack asparagus into five 1-quart jars to within 1/2 in. of top. Place 1 tablespoon dill seed and 1 teaspoon pickling spices in each jar.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Carefully ladle hot liquid over asparagus mixture, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Nutrition Facts4 each: 63 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1429mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 24, 2013
The only reason that I am giving this recipe 4 stars instead of 5 is that it didn't have a distinctive sweet flavor to it. It tasted very similar to my other "regular" asparagus that I pickled. Still a good recipe and I will be making it this way again!