This battered asparagus is a favorite at events. It's fun to eat with a side of ranch dressing for dipping. —Lori Kimble, Montgomery, Alabama
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 3 lage egg whites
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Ranch salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Combine beer and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Dip asparagus into batter.
- In a deep cast-iron or electric skillet, heat 1-1/2 in. oil to 375°. Fry asparagus in batches until golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with ranch dressing.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 70 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Apr 24, 2013
first time and will keep trying, over and over till I can master it. What I did was good but had to must batter, but still good
Mar 7, 2010
These are awesome! I'm not big on frying but I will do it for this recipe.