Easy Pickled Vegetables
This pickled vegetables recipe was handed down to me by my mom. It's been in the family for years. These sweet and tangy pickles are delicious whether you use home-grown cucumbers or store-bought ones. They're great to have in the pantry. —Joan Haliford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 4 hours 20 min. Process: 10 min.
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions (about 4 large)
- 4 cups thinly sliced cucumber (about 3 medium)
- 2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 8 quarts ice water
- 1 cup canning salt
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place cauliflower, onions, cucumbers and peppers in a large bowl. In another large bowl, mix ice water and salt; pour over vegetables. Let stand 4 hours.
- Rinse vegetables and drain well. In a Dutch oven, bring sugar, vinegar, celery seed, turmeric and cloves to a boil. Add drained vegetable mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until vegetables are heated through.
- Pack hot vegetables and liquid into six hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot liquid. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool.