Horseradish makes this the best Bloody Mary recipe we've tasted. Without the horseradish, you'll have a more traditional Bloody Mary, and without the alcohol, you'll have a Virgin Mary. Serve with a stalk of celery, dill pickle spear or olives. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon celery salt, divided
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups ice cubes, divided
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 cup tomato juice, chilled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- OPTIONAL GARNISHES:
- Celery rib, pickle spear, green and ripe olives, cucumber slice and/or cocktail shrimp
- Using water, moisten rim of a highball glass. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon celery salt on a small plate; dip rim into salt. Discard remaining celery salt from plate. Fill a shaker three-fourths full with ice. Place remaining ice in prepared glass.
- Add vodka, juices, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish if desired, pepper, remaining celery salt and pepper sauce to shaker; cover and shake until condensation forms on exterior, 10-15 seconds. Strain into prepared glass. Garnish as desired.
Editor's Note: To make a batch of Bloody Marys (4 servings), place 1 cup ice in a 2-qt. pitcher. Add 1 cup vodka, 4 cups tomato juice, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish if desired, 1/2 teaspoon celery salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce; stir to combine. Serve over ice.