Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
Makesabout 6 dozen (1-1/4 cups sauce)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 medium lemon, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails on)
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Add shrimp. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Drain shrimp and immediately rinse in cold water. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until cold. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Refrigerate until serving.
- Arrange shrimp on a serving platter; serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts3 shrimp with about 2 teaspoons sauce: 59 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 555mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein.
Dec 30, 2017
love it. thank you so much
Dec 21, 2012
I have made this several times--especially at the holidays. People rave and several have said it is the best they have ever had--shirmp is amazing alone and with the sauce. It has been requested again for Chrsitmas and New Year!
Aug 16, 2012
I have not made the shrimp, but the cocktail sauce is absolutely delicious. I won't make it any other way now.
Jan 16, 2012
While I would make the shrimp again, the sauce is another story ... I may have used the wrong chili sauce or too much horseradish but it was way too overpowering - even when adding katchup