Shrimp Pad Thai
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 ounces uncooked thick rice noodles
- 1/2 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or additional reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted peanuts
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry shrimp in oil until shrimp turn pink; remove and set aside. Add onion and garlic to the pan. Make a well in the center of the onion mixture; add egg. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until egg is completely set.
- Add the coleslaw mix, green onions, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, chili garlic sauce and peanuts; heat through. Return shrimp to the pan and heat through. Drain noodles; toss with shrimp mixture. Garnish with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 338 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 1675mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 21, 2019
Absolutely fantastic! Tastes exactly like the Pad Thai dish from one of our favorite restaurants. Now I can have it anytime at half the cost! It may look like a lot of ingredients, but it really pulls together quickly. The only changes we made were to add a squeeze of lime, eliminate the peanuts, and use Sriracha sauce as/in place of the chili garlic sauce that was called for. You could change this up easily and add chicken or tofu to this dish to suit your tastes and budget.
Dec 22, 2018
I made this recipe last night for the 2nd time. I made it the first time 2 weeks ago for my wife and I, and we loved it, so I made it again last night for our visiting daughter(Asian food lover), and it was a big hit, again. The use of cole slaw veggie mix is a great time saver. I didn't have cilantro, so garnished with Italian parsley, and was still good. Definitely a keeper!
Oct 12, 2018
When this was published in 2015, it became one of my favorite standbys for a quick meal with our all-time favorite base: shrimp. Over the course of the last three years when I have made it again, I have tried several variations, all of which have been wonderful. I think the secrets to this recipe is using small shrimp, adding the coleslaw mix, and the chili garlic sauce.
Mar 21, 2018
This was excellent. Much less complicated than other recipes we tried. We modified by using coconut oil instead of canola, adding an extra egg and adding about 1/4 cup of ketchup. Also works with Chicken, scallops or lobster.
Oct 22, 2015
I think this recipe is fantastic! I've made many pad thai recipes that are far more complicated with far more ingredients that do not pack the flavor punch that this does. I think it is essential to use the fish sauce and peanuts, AND to add cilantro. If shrimp isn't your thing, you could easily add tofu, chicken, or just leave it out. This is replacing all other pad thai recipes I use. Excellent.
Jan 10, 2015
We all (my two toddlers included) loved this dish! (I added an extra egg because my girls love eggs!)
May 2, 2014
So good, my husband says he could eat this every day!
Apr 21, 2014
I agree with Jenyoun--this is too sweet. Next time I will not add the sugar. I used a pre-prepared cole slaw mix of cabbage and carrots and added fresh bean sprouts. It also needs more spice and heat--next time will add sriracha sauce , red pepper flakes and top if off with fresh lime. I think the fish sauce, peanuts and fresh cilantro are key elements to include in this recipe.
Nov 14, 2013
This had great flavor. Often recipes on here are lacking oomph. Not this one. Even the 6 yr old liked it. One can easily add more chili garlic if they want more spice. I followed recipe as is and it was perfect. Hubby said this needs to be made monthly.
Jul 8, 2013
I absolutely loved this! It was so easy and delicious! I will be adding it to my menu!