Fresh Thai Asparagus, Kale and Garlicky Mushrooms
Hit the local farmers market and stock up! This quick, simple side dish is a perfect complement to any meal. The fish sauce gives it a wonderful depth of flavor without much effort. —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 10 ounces medium fresh mushrooms, quartered (about 4 cups)
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Toasted sesame seeds, optional
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 4-6 minutes. Add asparagus, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 2-4 minutes. Stir in kale; cook and stir until wilted, 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in fish sauce and vinegar. If desired, top with sesame seeds.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 129 calories, 11g fat (9g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Fresh Thai Asparagus, Kale and Garlicy Mushrooms in Taste of Home Summer 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.