Garlic Shrimp & Rice Salad
For this easy-to-make main dish salad, you can prepare the rice mixture and chop the vegetables ahead of time. Cook the shrimp at the last minute, then assemble it all together for a light yet satisfying meal. —Diane Nemitz, Ludington, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 4 cups fresh baby arugula or baby spinach
- Toss shrimp with oil, garlic and oregano; let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Transfer rice to a large bowl; cool slightly. For dressing, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, basil and lemon juice.
- In a large skillet, saute shrimp mixture over medium-high heat until shrimp turns pink, 2-3 minutes. Add to rice; stir in celery, parsley and pepper. Add arugula and toss lightly; serve with dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 397 calories, 23g fat (5g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Garlic Grilled Shrimp and Green Rice Salad in Simple & Delicious February/March 2017