Asparagus and Red Pepper Frittata
What a tasty way to start a morning! This frittata is enriched with asparagus, potatoes, peppers, herbs and a wonderful blend of cheeses. Serve with a side of seasonal fruit. —Toni Donahue, Westerville, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 12 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 10 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 3 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Place asparagus on an ungreased baking sheet; drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-in. ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and press down lightly. Cook, uncovered, until bottom is golden brown, 6-7 minutes. Drizzle with remaining oil; turn over.
- Pour egg mixture over potatoes. Cover and cook for 9-11 minutes or until nearly set. Arrange asparagus and red pepper over top. Sprinkle with basil and pepper Jack cheese.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat until eggs are completely set, 2-3 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 371 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 370mg cholesterol, 692mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.