Potato & Red Onion Frittata
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound red potatoes (about 5 small), thinly sliced
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, saute onion and rosemary in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same skillet, cook potatoes in 2 tablespoons butter until tender and golden brown. Remove and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese and onion mixture. Melt remaining butter in the skillet; tilt pan to evenly coat. Add egg mixture. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until nearly set.
- Top with potatoes; bake for 3-5 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 326 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 361mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
May 27, 2016
This was a great recipe! Mine took longer for the eggs to set, but it was worth it. I used regular onion, regular potatoes (salted and peppered) cooked in oil, white sharp cheddar cheese, and 1/4 tsp of rosemary. I added some chopped ham when I put that potatoes in towards the end of cooking and it added great flavor.
Jan 10, 2016
One of my favorite frittatas. I substituted shallots for the red onion for a milder flavor. Delicious!
Aug 27, 2014
this was wonderful! i made it a classic frittata and it came out beautifully. i included about 6 strips bacon that needed eating and next time i might include more veggies like peppers, mushrooms,corn or peas. also i will do this as written just to see the difference.
Sep 5, 2012
Only change is put both onions and potatoes on the bottom. It forms a nice sturdy base.
Sep 2, 2012
This was pretty good. I do wish it was not as greasy though....next time I will use a bit of canola oil or cooking spray instead of ALL THAT BUTTER. I made this out of the "best loved recipes" cookbook. I think this would be a 4 or 5 star recipe to me w/out all that butter.
Jul 25, 2012
Good! Added some chopped cooked bacon as well as some other veggies that I needed to use in the fridge (broccoli & red pepper). Turned out great!
May 25, 2012
I made this a few days ago and was delighted with the results, Excellant, I will make this frequently.
May 21, 2012
Very tasty !!
May 18, 2012
The recupe doesn't say what Temp to bake the Frittata. Tried it at 350, but it took a few min. longer.
May 18, 2012
The recipe and ingredients work well together but to make it an authentic frittata you should layer the onion and potato - or any fillings - in the pan and then pour the egg mix over and cook like that. Frittata and a Spanish Omelette are pretty much the same in that respect and this recipe is very similar to a traditional Catalan Spanish Omelette. It's no biggie, it tastes the same either way! It just cuts and serves better. Bon Appetit however you eat it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.