Black Bean & White Cheddar Frittata
This is one of my favorite comfort foods for breakfast or even a quick dinner. I like to make it with lime salsa. But if you're looking for something with more kick, use hot salsa or add some chipotle pepper. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 6 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: minced fresh cilantro, sliced ripe olives and additional salsa
- Preheat broiler. In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended.
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and green onions; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until peppers are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in beans. Reduce heat to medium; stir in egg mixture. Cook, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until nearly set. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 3-4 in. from heat 3-4 minutes or until light golden brown and eggs are completely set. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge (calculated without toppings): 183 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 196mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Cuban Black Bean and White Cheddar Frittata in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.