Black Bean & White Cheddar Frittata
This is one of my favorite comfort foods for breakfast or even a quick dinner. I like to make it with lime salsa. But if you're looking for something with more kick, use hot salsa or add some chipotle pepper. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 6 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: minced fresh cilantro, sliced ripe olives and additional salsa
- Preheat broiler. In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended.
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and green onions; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until peppers are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in beans. Reduce heat to medium; stir in egg mixture. Cook, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until nearly set. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 3-4 in. from heat 3-4 minutes or until light golden brown and eggs are completely set. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge (calculated without toppings): 183 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 196mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Cuban Black Bean and White Cheddar Frittata in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2015