For a light bite, Elaine Sweet created these pretty appetizers. “I really like asparagus, so I’m always trying it in different things,” says the Dallas, Texas reader. "This is a delicious twist on traditional bruschetta."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the asparagus; cover and boil for 2-4 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, tomatoes, basil, onions, lime juice, oil, garlic, lime zest, salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, spoon asparagus mixture onto toasted bread. Sprinkle with blue cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 88 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 18, 2009
This was absolutely delicious. Made this for my sons Bday as an appetizer for Chicken and Eggplant parm. The guests were mostly young men from 20-24. Couldn't believe how much they enjoyed this. This is a keeper