Sesame Beef & Asparagus Salad
Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies—especially when it comes to experimenting with fresh ingredients like these. This meaty salad is wonderful at the start of asparagus season. —Tamara Steeb, Issaquah, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 beef top round steak (1 pound)
- 4 cups cut fresh asparagus (2-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- Sesame seeds
- Lettuce leaves, julienned carrot and radishes, cilantro leaves and lime wedges, optional
- Preheat broiler. Place steak on a broiler pan. Broil 2-3 in. from heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°), 6-7 minutes per side. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, just until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and ginger; toss with beef and asparagus. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. If desired, serve over lettuce with carrot, radishes, cilantro and lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 160 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Sesame Beef and Asparagus Salad in Country Woman March/April 1991
May 23, 2017
Great over a salad with fresh Bibb lettuce, shredded carrots, sliced red bell pepper and snow peas. Wonderful!
Feb 18, 2013
Easy to make, and very tasty. My husband and I are trying to eat healthier and this recipe hit the spot.