Asparagus Spinach Salad with Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup prepared poppy seed salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries or fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine asparagus and water. Microwave, covered, on high until crisp-tender, 2-4 minutes; drain. Remove asparagus and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing, orange juice, honey, orange zest and mustard until blended.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, chicken, strawberries, almonds, sesame seeds and asparagus. Add dressing and toss to coat.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 267 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fat.
May 6, 2019
Honestly one of the best salads I've ever eaten! It's perfect for a spring or summer day. It's so refreshing . It has a perfect amount of citrus from the orange along with the sweetness from the strawberry and crunch with the almonds. I made it for dinner one night but this would be a great salad to bring to a party