Chicken Florentine Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Meanwhile, cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 15-18 minutes or until tender.
- For sauce, in a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add meatballs and heat through.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Serve with meatballs and sauce.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled meatballs and squash in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 303 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 7, 2019
Really tasty dish. I gave it 4 stars because the meatballs were a tad dry for our tastes. Next time I will shorten the baking time, and cook them longer in the sauce. Hubby said this one is a keeper! VFE
Oct 11, 2018
One of our favorite recipes! We liked the chicken meatballs - it was a nice change from traditional beef. I thought the sauce mixture was great - simple yet tasty! Always looking for ways to spruce up some spaghetti squash!
Feb 9, 2016
We loved this recipe! It will be a favorite from now on and I have already shared the recipe with several friends. The only thing I added to the sauce was a zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut in 1/2" slices since my hubby doesn't care for mushrooms. I reduced the amount of mushrooms and used whole button mushrooms so he could pick them out - and give them to me! Also, to keep the meatballs from sticking to the baking rack, I would suggest spraying the baking rack before baking the meatballs. Loved the spaghetti squash instead of pasta!
Mar 24, 2015
Very very dry and almost tasteless- add a lot more spices
Mar 13, 2014
These were really good, not dry, just perfect. I actually broke up a couple of hot italian sausages in with the ground chicken because we like spice! I will make these again.
Feb 21, 2014
Have made these for years, ever since the recipe was first published. Just had them again the other night. I freeze leftovers and they are just as great the next time. I make them exactly as recipe says but I add a small piece of fresh mozzarella in the middle when forming into meatballs. It puts them over the top!!
Dec 24, 2013
I have made this recipe several times, and every time it's a winner. I even used it as one of the dishes for a catered wedding reception. I had a hard time finding ground chicken, so used turkey instead. I also doubled the recipe and put the meatballs with sauce in the crock pot and let them cook all day. I plan to do it again tomorrow for Christmas dinner for my mom and me. Thanks. This is a terrific recipe.
Jun 23, 2012
I would make this again with a few adjustments. Like the other reviews I would like more sing to it so I need more spices. The meatballs were pretty sticky rolling into the balls but very moist when eaten. The sauces was quick and easy with normal pantry ingredients, just need a bit more spices. The spaghetti squash was new to us and with one medium it wasn't quite enough for our family of 4. Defiantly not a single portion size int he photo! With the cost of the squash and the amount we each had we skip the squash and keep he rest of the recipe for the future.
Jun 13, 2012
Absolutely delicious. I've made this several times and continue to get raves. I've even made this dish for church friends recovering from sickness or surgery. We love it!
Apr 2, 2012
DELICOUS!!!! Would recommend adding salt and pepper and doubling the basil/oregano in the recipe to add more body to the sauce. LOVE the meatballs!!! :D