Florentine Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1 package (6 ounces) ready-to-use chicken breast cuts
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Alfredo sauce
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the chicken, spinach, red peppers, rosemary, garlic powder and pepper in butter until spinach is wilted. Stir in the broth, Alfredo sauce and pesto; cook for 4-5 minutes or until heated through.
- Drain pasta and add to the soup. Sprinkle with pine nuts and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 275 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 865mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Feb 15, 2017
I made this for Valentine's day for my husband. I doubled the recipe. We absolutely loved it. The only change I made was adding a can of diced tomatoes (drained) instead of the peppers. Delicious!!!
Jan 22, 2017
My husband and I thought that this thick and hearty soup was absolutely amazing! I can't wait to make it again!
Jun 9, 2014
I agree with the previous person. This recipe needs no changes except that you should make a double batch:) Delicious.
Nov 15, 2013
I always change a recipe BUT not this one ---Love it just the way it is !! I am now gluten free so i add G/F pasta now.
Nov 29, 2012
Great soup. Different than your basic chicken noodle. I used fresh bel pepper and sauteed it before adding the rest of the ingredients. Came out wonderful!
Nov 26, 2012
I had made a Pesto-Chicken Penne Casserole (recipe also from taste of home) and wanted a different recipe to use some of my left-over ingredients. This soup did the trick! It was positively delicious and the rosemary really makes the soup.
Jan 30, 2012
This didn't come out as soup when I made it. More of a colorful casserole with a little broth.
Mar 3, 2011
Delicious!! I added chopped artichoke hearts and a bit more broth - instantly a top 5 recipe for us. Try it!!!!
Nov 17, 2010
I loved this easy to make soup. It's just me so there was plenty left for me to eat for lunch the next day.
Oct 15, 2010
I substituted chopped sun-dried tomatoes for the red peppers. Delicious!