Mediterranean Chicken Soup
This is my go-to soup when I'm under the weather. It always makes me feel better. This filling dish is also delicious for lunch or dinner, even when you're feeling great. —Angie Pitts, Charleston, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Season chicken with Greek seasoning and pepper. In a Dutch oven, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink; remove and set aside. Add green onions and garlic to the pan; saute for 1 minute. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, olives, capers, basil, oregano and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Return to a boil. Stir in orzo. Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Stir in lemon juice and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 285 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 1042mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Mediterranean Chicken Soup in Heartwarming Soups 2012